Friday, October 16, 2009

Workin on it...

wow, it's been a while! It is not out of a lack of events that I have not written a blog in a while, but rather a lack of time to right about the events due to the frequency of them. huh? yah, anyway.

Well, it's October, and the leaves are changing colors. The temperature is dropping. The sun has gone into hiding for a while. It's a little dreary, but life is good!

Since I last wrote, I have picked up 2 more jobs. I have been the school age director at For Kids Only, and now I also work at American Eagle in the Opry Mills Mall, as well as serve at a small restaurant/sports grill 2 nights a week. The jobs are keeping me busy, but I have managed to still take bass gigs, rehearse and perform. Lately the gigs have been paying a bit more and it seems that every show I play, another opportunity presents itself. Which is great!!

Recently I played with Ben Sturgell at his album release show. We worked on the music for months and I think the show went really well!! We had a full band including brass, strings and even a clarinet solo! Hopefully the I will get my hands on the video soon and the live audio tracks. It was a lot of fun, and I was really proud of Ben and the band that night for such a great performance. I had a ton of fun!! Now that his album is out, he has been in several meetings with booking agents, publishers, and labels to get this project going. Hopefully we can book a tour soon and hit the road!

In the meantime, I have been playing with several different artists all over nashville and surrounding cities and states. Just last weekend I took a road trip to Monroe Ohio to play a gig with the Michael Gordon band. So much fun!

What I love about this business is that you are constantly meeting new people. And not just meeting them and moving on, but building friendships! Most of the time now, when i play a show, there is either someone I have already played with in the band, or when we show up to play, I know/have played with someone in the band before or after us. Small town! I finally feel like I am in the pool of hired musicians here in Nashville, and it feels pretty good.

Prior to Ben's album release show, I was suffering from carpal tunnel. It scared me because I know how bad it can get, and I also know that bass playing is a career choice for me, not a hobby, and I am going to need to keep my limbs healthy! I wore a brace for a while and took ibuprofen to keep the swelling down. It was annoying. Ben prayed for my wrist often, and I am thankful for that! My wrist is much much better now! Sometimes in long sets or rehearsals it will still tighten up a bit on me, but I am working on my technique to prevent this from happening.

All in all, I feel a bit settled in this town now. I can now get around town without getting lost EVERY time... I have friends... I have a church... I have jobs... things are going well! I still miss home very much. I miss my niece Riley like I've never missed anything before, and it makes me sad that I cannot be there to watch my nephew Ethan grow up. I am thankful for video chat! when it works... but it's just not the same. I can't wait for my sister to come out and visit next weekend!!! and then I will be home for 10 days around Christmas. So excited!!

You have been briefed.

Ben Sturgell Release Photos

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the update. Glad you are doing well. you are in my heart and prayers often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jes, I'm so proud of you and so happy for you that you are thriving in Nashville. We love you and miss you very much!

    ReplyDelete